Complete Review Of Grammar Training
TIME: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
INSTRUCTOR: Jennie Ruby
Live, Online Instructor-Led Training
Most of us haven’t taken a grammar class since high school, and yes, things have changed since then … or forgotten! Should you use effect or affect? Should the sentence have a comma or semicolon? Are your editorial decisions being called into question? We have become reliant on Spellcheck and Grammar check, but at times these are incorrect.
This TECHEAD training class will give you the vocabulary and the solid understanding of grammar rules to explain your edits. A great confidence builder for professional editors and a great introduction for those new to editing or proofreading.
You’ll be in Demand With Our TECHEAD Training
- Learn the problem areas. Is it I versus Me, He versus Him, and Who versus Whom? How do you get around the him versus her dilemma?
- Master punctuation. When is it correct to use Hyphens, Apostrophes, Quotation Marks, Parentheses, Ellipsis, Dashes, and Brackets?
- Clarity in writing. Do you tend to write sentence fragments or run on sentences? Do you confuse verb tenses and active versus passive voices? No more!
- The 8 Parts of Speech
- The 5 Basic Sentence Patterns
- Recognizing Sentence Fragments and Run-On Sentences
Lesson 1: Parts of speech and Parts of a Sentence
Lesson 2: Clauses and Phrases
- The 4 Types of Clauses
- The 5 Types of Phrases
Lesson 3: Punctuation
- Commas with Introductory Elements
- Commas with Interrupting Elements
- Other punctuation marks upon request: Hyphens, Apostrophes, Quotation Marks, Parentheses, Ellipsis, Dashes, and Brackets
Lesson 4: Verb Tense, Mood, and Voice
- The 12 Verb Tenses
- The 3 Moods of the Verb
- Active versus Passive Voice
Lesson 5: Subject-Verb Agreement
- The “And” Rule
- The “Or” Rule
- The Trouble with Indefinite Pronouns
- Handling Proper Nouns, Collective Nouns, and False Subjects
Lesson 6: Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement
- More Trouble with Indefinite Pronouns
- Five ways around the “his or her” problem
Lesson 7: Pronoun Case
- I versus Me, He versus Him, and Who versus Whom
- Understanding Possessives
Lesson 8: Parallelism
- Parallel Structures in Lists
- Parallel Structures in Text
Lesson 9: Modifiers
Who Should Be Here
This TECHEAD grammar training class is ideal for writers, proofreaders, editors, or virtually anyone who needs a refresher course on grammar.
Your Place Our Ours for Training
Not convenient to visit our Richmond training center for our training classes? No problem … we’re flexible! We can bring our training classes to your business at your location – simply call 1-877-TECHEAD. We also offer hourly computer training consultation services to help you solve your specific design challenges or our Creative Solutions team can do your graphic design and website projects for you.
Other Techead Writing and Grammar Classes
There are currently no scheduled dates for this class. Complete this online form to request a custom class.