Why You May Be Struggling to Find High-Paid Clearance Jobs
You have applied online for countless clearance jobs, but are not having any luck securing a high-paying one.
You are not alone. According to Forbes, 75% of online applications don’t even make it to the hiring manager’s desk. When employers post jobs online, they often get overwhelmed with responses. To streamline the process, they have been resorting to using Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) software to help identify the best candidates.
The good news is there are steps you can take now to increase your chances of finding your perfect high-paying clearance job.
Develop Your Job Search Strategy
If your job searching skills are not yielding results, it may be time to employ a new job search strategy. There are simple and effective ways to put yourself in the best possible position to be a standout candidate.
Below we outline the best steps to take to ensure that you are successful in your search for a high-paying clearance job.
5 Steps to Higher-Paid Clearance Jobs
1. Get Clearance and Develop desired Skills
To land a high-paid clearance job you must have an active clearance. There are three levels of clearance: confidential, secret, and top secret. The highest-paying clearance jobs will require top secret clearance.
Clearance is not something you can apply for on your own. A government or federal agency, or company with a governmental contract, will need to apply for clearance on your behalf. Expect this process to take at least 120 days.
Skills that make you attractive to a potential employer of clearance jobs include:
- Software developer skills
- Engineering expertise and experience
- Speaking multiple languages
You should highlight all your skills on your social media accounts and, of course, your resume.
2. Optimize Your Resume
We recommend that you optimize your resume to improve your chances of passing the ATS resume review:
- Format your resume as a .doc or a .txt only. Other formats such as .pdf may be rejected.
- Do not include pictures or tables.
- Avoid using a resume template.
- Always upload your resume. Do not type your resume or copy and paste it.
- Read the job posting carefully and include keywords used in the posting in your skills list and in the main body of the resume.
If you do not have clearance, explain why your skills would still make you an ideal employee for the clearance job on offer.
3. Improve Your Interview Technique
Once you get selected for an interview it is important that your interview skills are fine-tuned:
- Show confidence by using good body language – sit up straight and maintain eye contact
- Have a relaxed and respectful demeanor and do not appear desperate for the job
- Wear professional clothing for the interview to show that you are serious about the position
- Use good listening skills and avoid interrupting your interviewer
- Practice executing pre-empted interview answers so that no question takes you off guard
- Ask questions about the company and the role to show your genuine interest and that you’re invested into the opportunity and duties
These techniques hold good for in-person and virtual interviews (and for non-clearance positions as well).
4. Build Your Professional Network
Networking can be a valuable tool in your job search. Take the time to update your online profiles and social media (especially LinkedIn), and use these platforms to network with people in your field.
Try to speak to people and attend events in your selected industry to make connections and share your personal branding.
5. Leverage the Value of a Specialized Staffing Agency
Many employers have decided to use a specialized staffing agency to help them save time and money when searching for the ideal candidate, and because of the quality of candidates they deliver.
By using a specialized staffing agency, you will partner with experts who are highly knowledgeable of available positions and employer criteria. The recruiter will be able to give you specific advice on how to advance your career, how to present yourself in an interview, and will also know how to present you to an employer.
Accelerate Your Search for High-Paid Clearance Jobs
By incorporating the above tactics into your job search, you will be on the right path to finding your ideal high-paid clearance job.
To accelerate your job search, the best strategy is to contact a specialist recruitment agency.